Monday, August 3, 2009

What is the best insole and water system for running a marathon?

Currently training for a marathon. I ran a half marathon last year, and feel like I could have performed better if my feet didn't hurt around mile 8.





When I checked my feet after the half marathon, skin was rubbed off around the ball of the foot, etc. Any suggestions to take care of the rubbing as well?

What is the best insole and water system for running a marathon?
It isn't so much about the insole as it is a well fitting show, good socks, and proper foot care.





It sounds like the shoes and socks you were probably weren't the best for you. Go to a dedicated running store and get them to help you pick out a good pair of shoes. You don't have to buy the most expensive ones, there are plenty of good shoes in the $50-80 range.





Get good socks. I personally like Pearl Izumi and Smartwool. Buy several pairs from different manufacturers and see which work the best for you.





Take care of those feet. Trim your nails, remove thick calluses, keep them clean and dry as possible before and during a race.





Finally, lube your feet. Slather it on, it really helps! There are many products for this ranging from Vaseline, Bag Balm (my favorite), to fancy stuff like Hydropel.





As for water systems, most road marathons have water stops every couple miles, you generally shouldn't need to carry anything. If you want to carry your own beverage that they don't serve, experiment with handheld water bottles, bladders, and what not. On trail runs I'll carry a hydration pack with a 70 or 100 oz bladder, depending on how long I plan to be out.
Reply:Whatever feels the best to you.



windows media player 11

No comments:

Post a Comment